STATE INSTITUTION OF THE «NATIONAL MUSEUM OF TAJIKISTAN» UNDER THE EXECUTIVE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF TAJIKISTAN
On July 27, 2011, the Decree of the President of the Republic of Tajikistan № 675 was issued on the establishment of the State institution of the «National museum of Tajikistan». The museum has a total area of 24,000 sq.m and the exhibit space occupies 22 rooms with a total area of over 15,000 sq. m.
The National Museum of Tajikistan is composed of four exhibition departments: Department of Natural History, Department of Ancient and Medieval History, Department of Modern and Contemporary History and Department of Fine and Applied Arts.
Ground floor. Halls of the Department of Natural History are located on the ground floor of the Museum. The Exposition of the Department of Natural History will introduce the visitors to flora and fauna, special protected natural territories and National Parks of the Republic of Tajikistan. There is a special Geological hall in that department that represents the samples of the precious and decorative stones, the paleontology section, and the fossils. In the middle of the Geology Hall, there is a stone tree that decorated with 19 thousand gemstone and decorative stones.
The first floor. The Department of Ancient and Medieval History is one of the biggest exhibition department in the National museum of Tajikistan. This hall is situated at the first and the second floor of the museum. The display of this department begins with demonstration of the map of historical sites of the Republic of Tajikistan. In addition, the exhibition of the hall displays objects from the Stone Age period of Tajikistan such as Ancient Settlement of Sarazm, Zoroastrianism culture and religion, Acheminid Empire, Greco-Bactrian Empire, The Kushanid’s Empire, Ephtalists and Ancient Panjakent that have been found in the territories of Tajikistan. The findings from Panjakent Ancient Site (V-VIII A.D.) like wall murals, curved woods in the shape of dancing girl, ceramic vessels, peace of wall painting which is the evidences of the rich culture of this civilization center of the Tajiks, which in the World is famous as «Pompeii of the East»
In the round shaped hall that is situated on the first floor of the museum, the visitors can observe the imitation of the Buddhist monastery of Ajinatepa that existed in the south of Tajikistan until the V-VIII A.D.
The hall of the second floor displays the objects that belong to the Samanid’s period such as the findings from Hulbuk Castle including the decorated and inscribed ceramic vessels of the late X - A.D., wooden Iskodar Mihrab (Altar), curved woods, fragments of fabrics from the site of Bozordara, armors of the XI-XVI A.D., samples of the calligraphies of the Tajiks, copper vessels etc. Also at the second floor, a special numismatic hall tells about the history of coins, currency and banknotes. In that hall displayed the coins of the Greco-Bactrian Empire that belong to the II-III B.C, Kushanids (II B.C, IV A.D), the Sassanids (III-VII A.D.), Samanids (IX-X A.D.), Karakhanids (XI) Tamarinds (XIV-XV).
In the halls of the modern and contemporary history displayed the objects that belong to the Soviet Period of Tajikistan (1971 - 1991). The objects mostly tell about the socio-economic and cultural life of the Republic of Tajikistan during the Second World War (1941-1945). Also in that, halls are represented achievements of the Republic of Tajikistan during the independence period such as constructions of roads, tunnels, bridges and etc. are displayed.
There is a special hall in the National museum of Tajikistan devoted to the gifts of the President of the Republic of Tajikistan that were presented to the President from different countries and international organizations of the world.
The third floor. The exhibition halls of fine and applied arts displays various genres of this type of art, such as portrait, landscape, sculpture, ornamental art etc. The exhibition of this hall starts from the period of the 1930 of the XX Cen, which reflects the development of this kind of art in the Republic of Tajikistan.